Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-send-email: add ~/.authinfo parsing

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 15:28:52 -0500

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:10:40 -0500 Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JK> Technically you can speak a particular protocol on an alternate port:

JK>   https://example.com:31337/repo.git

JK> In this case, git will send you the host as:

JK>   example.com:31337

JK> You might want to map this to "port" in .autoinfo separately if it's
JK> available.

That would create the following possibilities:

* host example.com:31337, protocol https
* host example.com:31337, protocol unspecified
* host example.com, protocol https
* host example.com, protocol unspecified

How would you like each one to be handled?  My preference would be to
make the user say "host example.com:31337" in the netrc file (the
current situation); that's what we do in Emacs and it lets applications
request credentials for a logical service no matter what the port is.

It means that example.com credentials won't be used for
example.com:31337.  In practice, that has not been a problem for us.

Ted