Subject: Re: [Wishlist] could git tell which password it is asking when asking a password.

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:04:02 -0500

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:59:09 +0200 Rémi Vanicat <[email-masked]> wrote: 

RV> When git is asking for a password (for example for pushing over https)
RV> it call the $GIT_ASKPASS script with only "Password: " as a an argument,
RV> so when one have several remote, it might not know which one is asking
RV> the password. 

Seconded, I run into this all the time.  A configurable prompt with %h
for the host, etc. would be really nice.

RV> It would be interesting also to plug some sort of password-safe unto
RV> git, or some "git-agent". 

This would also be really nice.  ~/.netrc is not a great place to put
passwords for the HTTP transport.  In GNU Emacs we have ~/.authinfo.gpg
with the same content as ~/.netrc but encrypted by GPG and thus more
secure (the user is either prompted for the password, if the file is
encrypted symmetrically, or the user simply loads their private key into
the GPG agent).  I believe all this can be done with the GPGME library.
There's also the Secrets API on newer Gnome and KDE installs, which has
a pretty nice D-Bus interface.

But is this a libcurl feature request?  Or can a Git plugin (an
alternate HTTPS transport maybe?) handle it?

Thanks
Ted