Subject: Re: [PATCH] meson: ensure correct version-def.h is used

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 18:24:04 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> What happens if we use <version-def.h> to include (which is how C
> standard tells us to do), with an explicit include path specified
> with -I<directory>?  If it solves the issue, that may be a better
> approach.

I don't have a good source, but for example Wikipedia[1] says:

    Some preprocessors locate the include file differently based on the
    enclosing delimiters; treating a path in double-quotes as relative
    to the including file and a path in angle brackets as located in one
    of the directories of the configured system search path.

So behavior seems to depend on the implementation of the compiler. I'm
not sure we can trust all architectures to do what we expect. Or,
because I don't expect many people to use Make and Meson at the same
time, do we not consider this an issue for most anyway?

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Include_directive#C/C++

--
Toon