Subject: Re: diff-index --cc no longer permitted, gitk is now broken (slightly)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:08:34 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure I follow. What "show -p" has to do with "diff-index --cc"?
>>
>> My only point here is that usage of *--cc* in *diff-index* is entirely
>> undocumneted, and that needs to be somehow resolved.
>
> It was a response to your "historical status quo that is a problem."
> I do not think there is any problem with "diff-index --cc" (except
> for it wants a better documentation---but that we already agree) but

Ah, now I see, but it's exactly lack of documentation (and tests) that I
was referring to as the "problem of the historical status quo" on the
Git side, so I was somewhat confused by your original response.

Also, it's still unclear, even if not very essential, what exactly that
"status quo" is when seen from the point of view of gitk. Does gitk
actually utilize *particular output* of "diff-index --cc" for better, or
gitk would be just as happy if it were synonym for "diff-index -p", or
even if it'd be just as happy if --cc were silently consumed by
diff-index?

> I wanted to give you some credit for having worked on "--diff-merges",
> an effort to generalize things in a related area.

Thanks for that! More to follow )

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov