Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/6] ci(vs-build): build with NO_GETTEXT

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 10:27:01 +0200

On Wed, Jun 23 2021, Dennis Ameling via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Dennis Ameling <[email-masked]>
>
> We already build Git for Windows with `NO_GETTEXT` when compiling with
> GCC. Let's do the same with Visual C, too.
>
> Signed-off-by: Dennis Ameling <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  .github/workflows/main.yml | 2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> diff --git a/.github/workflows/main.yml b/.github/workflows/main.yml
> index 0f7516c9ef..3b40c677ab 100644
> --- a/.github/workflows/main.yml
> +++ b/.github/workflows/main.yml
> @@ -159,7 +159,7 @@ jobs:
>        shell: bash
>        run: |
>          cmake `pwd`/contrib/buildsystems/ -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=`pwd`/compat/vcbuild/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows \
> -        -DMSGFMT_EXE=C:/git-sdk-64-minimal/mingw64/bin/msgfmt.exe -DPERL_TESTS=OFF -DPYTHON_TESTS=OFF -DCURL_NO_CURL_CMAKE=ON
> +        -DNO_GETTEXT=YesPlease -DPERL_TESTS=OFF -DPYTHON_TESTS=OFF -DCURL_NO_CURL_CMAKE=ON
>      - name: MSBuild
>        run: msbuild git.sln -property:Configuration=Release -property:Platform=x64 -maxCpuCount:4 -property:PlatformToolset=v142
>      - name: bundle artifact tar

To a first approximation isn't the point of CI to test a diversity of
setups? So "we already do X in job A, let's do it X in job B" seems like
the opposite of a self-justifying rationale, surely our default approach
would be to do things differently?

Perhaps this change makes sense, just commenting on the explanation in
the commit message. I think it should cover:

 * Why: Is it being done for speed, hard to install libintl or whatever?

 * Coverage: Before we tested on this platform with this knob, do we
   have another CI job that covers what we'll lose in coverage here, if
   not is it OK because it's tested in some other way etc?