Subject: Re: The git spring cleanup challenge

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:15:48 +0200

On Tue, Jun 01 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:

>   1. Remove all the configuration that is not essential (just leave
>      user.name and user.email or equivalent)
>   2. Pick 2 configurations you think you can't live without. You are not
>      allowed to change them afterwards.
>   3. Every day you can add 1 additional configuration (and update it the
>      next day).
>   4. The moment you add a 4th configuration you lose.

This proposal is somewhere between picking which 2 of your 4 kids gets
to live and asking an alcoholic to stop drinking for a week just so he
can tell you at the end what his favorite drinks are :)

So I skipped the "disable most config", but for what it's worth I think
I'd miss these the most, I couldn't pick just N favorites, sorry:

 * diff.colorMoved=true: super useful, but I'd be vary of turning it on
   by default in its current form. E.g. on gcc.git's changelog files it
   has really pathological performance characteristics.

 * rebase.rescheduleFailedExec=true: Relatively new, but I'd find it
   hard to live without this now.

 * rerere.*: others have mentioned "should be enabled by default".

   But on that topic I set gc.rerereResolved="1 year ago", with
   managing/merging topics in git.git the default of 60 days is way too
   aggressive.

 * merge.defaultToUpstream: ditto other discussion, should be "true" by
   default.

 * checkout.defaultRemote=origin: I introduced this, so I'm biased, but
   I find it super useful. Usually because I do "git branch -m
   new-branch" on master to create topics, and then "git checkout
   master" to get a master back (or use the existing one).

 * commit.verbose=true: so you know what you're looking at in doing in
   "git commit --amend".

 * grep.patternType=perl: Another personal soap box (but really, BRE
   anywhere sucks).

I also have a bunch of aliases that would not be useful to a general
audience, but which I find I can't live without, some of the most
commonly used ones:

    # Log with "less" n/p already going to the next/prev commit
    log-psfd = "!f() { PAGER=\"less -p'^commit'\" git log -p --stat --full-diff $@; }; f"
    # cutesy commit aliases (I guess "commit" is both "ci" and "c" here, but...)
    cif = commit --fixup
    cis = commit --squash
    ca = commit --amend
    cane = commit --amend --no-edit

Similarly rebase is "r", "--interactive" is "ri", "--abort", and
"--continue" are "ra" and "rc".

If anyone's interested in the rest / full set:
https://github.com/avar/dotfiles/blob/master/.gitconfig