Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] config: add --literal-value option

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 13:35:16 +0100

On Fri, Nov 20 2020, Derrick Stolee wrote:

> On 11/20/2020 8:19 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> 
>> On Thu, Nov 19 2020, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
>> 
>>> As reported [1], 'git maintenance unregister' fails when a repository is
>>> located in a directory with regex glob characters.
>> 
>> Just as bikeshedding on the name: Did you consider something
>> thematically similar to the corresponding git-grep option,
>> i.e. --fixed-string[s]. I see -F is also free in git-config(1).
>
> I definitely wanted to be specific about "value" in the name,
> since some options include regexes on the key as well. I'm open
> to new ideas, and combining your idea with mine would introduce
> "--fixed-value". Thoughts?

Hi. I see you've already sent a v2 with that. Looks good to me. FWIW I
didn't feel strongly one way or the other about it, either would be a
fine choice by someone who's eyeballing this more than my cursory
glance.

I just wanted to point out the grep option in case you'd missed it,
since we've got a bazillion CLI options all over the place, and
sometimes there's an existing option that's thematically similar to a
proposed new one that's easy to miss. So we can re-use (or partially
re-use) the name, behavior, or not.