Subject: Re: Why Git LFS is not a built-in feature

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 19:20:45 +0100

On Sat, Nov 14 2020, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 12:29:02AM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
>> Additionally, in many cases, projects can avoid the need for storing
>> large files at all by using repository best practices, like not storing
>> build products or binary dependencies in the repository and instead
>> using an artifact server or a standard packaging system.  If possible,
>> that will almost always provide a better experience than any solution
>> for storing large files in the repository.
>
> Well, I would argue that if the goal is ongoing archival and easy 
> replication, then storing objects in a repository like git makes a lot 
> more sense than keeping them on a central server that may or may not be 
> there a few years down the line. Having large file support native in git 
> is a laudable goal and I quite often wish that it existed.

That native support does exist right now in the form of partial clones,
the packfile-uris support, core.bigFileThreshold etc.

It's got a lot of rough edges currently, but if it's something you're
interested in you should try it out and see if the subset of features
that works well now is something that would work for you.