Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] rebase: learn --keep-base

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:35:34 +0100

On Sat, Mar 23 2019, Denton Liu wrote:

> This series teaches rebase the --keep-base option.
>
> 'git rebase --keep-base <upstream>' is equivalent to
> 'git rebase --onto <upstream>... <upstream>' or
> 'git rebase --onto $(git merge-base <upstream> HEAD) <upstream>' .
>
> This seems to be a common case that people (including myself!) run into; I was
> able to find these StackOverflow posts about this use case:
>
> * https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53234798/can-i-rebase-on-a-branchs-fork-point-without-explicitly-specifying-the-parent
> * https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41529128/how-do-you-rebase-only-changes-between-two-branches-into-another-branch
> * https://stackoverflow.com/a/4207357

Like with another series of yours I think this would be best squashed
into one patch.

Maybe I've misunderstood this but isn't this like --fork-point except
with just plain "git merge-base" instead of "git merge-base
--fork-point", but then again 2/3 shows multiple base aren't supported,
but merge-base supports that.

I'd find something like the "DISCUSSION ON FORK-POINT MODE" in
git-merge-base helpful with examples of what we'd pick in the various
scenarios, and also if whatever commit this picks was something you
could have "git merge-base" spew out, so you could get what rebase would
do here from other tooling (which maybe is possible, but I'm confused by
the "no multiple bases"...).