Subject: Re: Shawn Pearce has died

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:17:32 +0100

On Mon, Jan 29 2018, Johannes Schindelin jotted:

> Hey fellow gitters,
>
> I found these sad news in my timeline today:
>
> https://twitter.com/cdibona/status/957822400518696960

I've been staring at this E-Mail client for tens of minutes and should
probably start writing something. It's hard to know what to say.

Most of my (comparatively small) involvement with git post-dates Shawn.

It's always a bit strange to contribute to projects and feel like you're
getting to know people you've never met except through their work and
E-Mail correspondence.

I've met many of you, but never met Shawn, but feel like I know him from
all his work for which I and others are thankful for.

I'm sorry he's gone, and have all the best hopes for his family and
children.

They don't want any flowers sent over to them, but I wonder if we
couldn't make some sort of tribute to Shawn at the upcoming developer
meeting in Barcelona (and find some way to have remote people contribute
to it).

E.g. a short video/audio of different people in the dev community
sharing some story about Shawn, or a written list of memories
contributed by and signed by various people.

I don't know what that would look like exactly, but I think it would be
a good thing for his family and especially for his children when they're
grown to remember him by, to know that their father contributed to these
software projects with people all over the world, and that all these
people appreciated his work and him personally.