Subject: encrypted netrc for Git (was: [Wishlist] could git tell which password it is asking when asking a password.)

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:05:50 -0500

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:04:02 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> wrote: 

TZ> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:59:09 +0200 Rémi Vanicat <[email-masked]> wrote: 

RV> It would be interesting also to plug some sort of password-safe unto
RV> git, or some "git-agent". 

TZ> This would also be really nice.  ~/.netrc is not a great place to put
TZ> passwords for the HTTP transport.  In GNU Emacs we have ~/.authinfo.gpg
TZ> with the same content as ~/.netrc but encrypted by GPG and thus more
TZ> secure (the user is either prompted for the password, if the file is
TZ> encrypted symmetrically, or the user simply loads their private key into
TZ> the GPG agent).  I believe all this can be done with the GPGME library.
TZ> There's also the Secrets API on newer Gnome and KDE installs, which has
TZ> a pretty nice D-Bus interface.

TZ> But is this a libcurl feature request?  Or can a Git plugin (an
TZ> alternate HTTPS transport maybe?) handle it?

Ping?  I'd like to work on this if it seems like a feasible feature.

Thanks
Ted