Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-reset.txt: Use commit~1 notation over commit^

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:14:11 +0200

2010-12-02 08:17 Miles Bader <[email-masked]>:
> Jari Aalto <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Additionaly, you must know about the ^ notation. That is the only way
>>> refer to the second parent HEAD^2, for example.
>>
>> If "must" is a requirement, I have to regret that there has yet to have
>> been a situation where I would ahve a need to refer to "second parent".
>>
>> I guess most of the basic features can be used without it.
>
> It doesn't matter.  There needs to be a better reason than "Jari doesn't
> like it."

This has nothing to do with liking. It how infomation is read. When
information is consistent, it lessens cognitive load.

In the  "fine print" git-rev-parse(1) there can be the gory details.

most of the commenters probably are already experts and therefor wear
"expert glasses on". It's not necessarily the same for starters.
Certainly not when you try to teach 100 people. One form is much better
in that situation than variations. You only do it at the end:

    "[After finishing 6 week training] Btw, if you need more details
    look at...."

Experts can later pick anything they want.

Jari