Subject: Re: orthogonal cases of log --date option

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:47:10 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>   git log --local-dates --date=default
>
> This makes the interface simpler to understand: --date remains a
> selector, and --date=local is a special case that new people don't need
> to think about or understand.

I agree, a separate option is more clear.

I suppose (as Junio later commented) that an explicit "--date-tz" option
might be cool too, though I suppose 99% of the time, people would only
ever specify "--date-tz=local" or "--date-gz=gmt"...

[one use-case I can think of for a more general option would be
if you want to see a log from somebody else's point of view ... "when
was john in san francisco doing all that hacking?"]

-Miles

-- 
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.  -- Will Durant