Subject: Re: [PATCH] Reencode committer info to utf-8 before formatting mail header

From: David Kågedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:57:12 +0100

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> -static int add_rfc2047(char *buf, const char *line, int len)
> +static int add_rfc2047(char *buf, const char *line, int len,
> +		       const char *encoding)
>  {
>  	char *bp = buf;
>  	int i, needquote;
> -	static const char q_utf8[] = "=?utf-8?q?";
> +	char q_encoding[128];
> +	const char *q_encoding_fmt = "=?%s?q?";

This goes against the old principle of being forgiving in what you
accept, and strict in what you send.  The names of the encoding in the
headers should probably be normalized before putting them in an
e-mail.  I.e. we might accept "utf-8", "utf8", "UTF-8", and "UTF8"
(this depends on iconv, I suppose), but the RFC2047 encoding should be
the one blessed by RFC4027.  But I admit that I haven't read the RFC,
and I'm writing this offline so I can't check right now.

-- 
David Kågedal