Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/3] last-modified: rewrite error message when more than one revision given

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2026 13:30:28 +0100

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Surprised that “revision” is a synonym for commit? Why is that?

I must admit, I was surprised too.

> Because in my mind a revision can resolve to any object type.
> "<rev>^{<type>}" for example is a revision, but it can resolve for
> example to a tree if you say "HEAD^{tree}". Still a revision, but
> definitely does not resolve to a commit.

Besides the discussion if "HEAD^{tree}" is a revision or not. Passing in
two revisions to git-last-modified(1) is not allowed. So I think the
error message I proposed makes sense.

> Also, it's confusing to conflate the way to name a commit with a commit
> itself. "HEAD~10" is a revision, but taken by itself it's not a commit.
> It's not even clear whether it resolves, so it feels sensible to me to
> keep these two concepts separate from one another.

-- 
Cheers,
Toon