Subject: Re: [PATCH] MyFirstContribution: refrain from self-iterating too much

From: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:47:45 -0600

First review on this list; let me know if I've missed any decorum :-)

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> +Of course, you still may spot mistakes and rooms for improvements
> +after you sent your initial patch.  Learn from that experience to
> +make sure that you will do such a self-review _before_ sending your
> +patches next time.  You do not have to send your patches immediately
> +once you finished writing them.  It is not a race.  Take your time
> +to self-review them, sleep on them, improve them before sending them
> +out, and do not allow you to send them before you are reasonably
> +sure that you won't find more mistakes in them yourself.

Something of a nit:

    do not allow you to send them...

should be

    do not allow yourself to send them...

You're also using 'them' a *lot* which took me for a tumble my first
read-through. I lost track of what 'them' actually was. Since this
documentation is especially likely to be read by those who are already
confused by the process, it may be beneficial to be more explicit at
some points:

    ...

    patches next time. You do not have to send your patches immediately
    once you finished writing them. It is not a race. Take your time to
    review your own patches, sleep on them, and improve them. Do not
    allow yourself to send out your patches for review before you are
    reasonably sure you won't find more mistakes in them yourself.

--

Thanks for all the work you do on this list; it's much appreciated.

-Sean

--
Sean Allred