Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 0/3] packfile-uri: http and https as default value of `--uri-protocol`

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:10:42 +0200

On Fri, Aug 13 2021, Teng Long wrote:

> The origin is from the reply by Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
>
>     https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]

Thanks, I left some comments, see in particular the one on 1/3,
i.e. maybe I'm confused about the goals here.

I think the goal here makes sense, but that a better way to do this is
to simply add a transfer.packfileURI setting, a boolean that defaults to
true. See a similar transfer.bundleURI in a related series of mine:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I.e. in that series I also make use of fetch.uriProtocols to configure
bundle-uri, so if it lands it'll be confusing to have a know to tweak
bundle-uri, but not packfile-uri.

But even without it I think it's a lot less confusing to start
introdudcing client-specific settings for things we enable/disable in
the protocol explicitly, rather than implicitly by (in this case)
setting the allowed list of protocols.

So that transfer.{bundleURI,packfileURI}=[bool] suggestion, or perhaps
even a more generic setting for directly turning on or off capabilities
without having to introduce config handling for each
one. E.g. transferCapability.{bundle,packfile}-uri.disable=true. I.e. have
serve.c and friends loop through transferCapability.*.disable and handle
things accordingly on the client.