Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] tests: avoid syntax triggering old dash bug

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 10:51:03 +0100

On Wed, Feb 13 2019, SZEDER Gábor wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:59:51PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> Avoid a bug in dash that's been fixed ever since its
>> ec2c84d ("[PARSER] Fix clobbering of checkkwd", 2011-03-15)[1] first
>> released with dash v0.5.7 in July 2011. This failing test was
>> introduced in 5f9674243d ("config: add --expiry-date", 2017-11-18).
>>
>> This fixes 1/2 tests failing on Debian Lenny & Squeeze. The other
>
> Do I understand this "1/2" right?  There are two tests failing on
> Lenny and Squeeze, and this fixes one of those bugs?

Yeah, so there's one bug left now, which I haven't tracked down.

>> failure is due to 1b42f45255 ("git-svn: apply "svn.pathnameencoding"
>> before URL encoding", 2016-02-09).
>>
>> The dash bug is triggered by this test because the heredoc contains a
>> command embedded in "$()" with a "{}" block coming right after
>> it. Refactoring the "$()" to e.g. be a variable that was set earlier
>> will also work around it, but let's instead break up the "EOF" and the
>> "{}".
>>
>> An earlier version of this patch[2] mitigated the issue by breaking
>> the "$()" out of the "{}" block, that worked, but just because it
>> broke up the "EOF" and "{}" block. Putting e.g. "echo &&" between the
>> two would also work.
>>
>> 1. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/
>
> Could you please link directly to the commit fixing that issue?
>
>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/commit/?id=ec2c84d3c4dba4b74440d72bdd1de416a9acd2a9

Should have done that, but I'll hold off on a re-roll for such a minor
cosmetic issue since I see Junio's merged it down to "next" already. The
dash.git hash is noted in the commit message, so it's not a practical
problem to find the commit, but yeah, would be nice if were a clickable
link.

>> 2. https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>