Subject: Re: jk/branch-l-0-deprecation (was Re: What's cooking in git.git (May 2018, #02; Thu, 17))

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 14:02:08 +0200

On Thu, May 17 2018, Kaartic Sivaraam wrote:

> Hi Ævar,
>
> On Thursday 17 May 2018 03:18 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> I've ended up with that $LESS setting via hackery over the years, so
>> maybe I'm doing something retarded, minimal test case:
>>
>>     PAGER=less  LESS="--no-init --quit-if-one-screen" git branch -l
>>
>> ...
>>
>> So I think this is probably OK for most users, if the have very few
>> branches they'll see it, and then if they use default pager settings
>> they'll see the stderr output once they quit the pager. I don't know how
>> common my (mis)configuration is.
>>
> I'm not sure this is ok, because I still see the stderr output with your
> minimal test case even when I have enough branches to not fit in one
> screen. The stderr output is of course above the pager output (after I
> quit the pager) and gets hidden out-of display as I stated before. I
> also get weird 'ESC[m' characters with you minimal test case. I'm not
> sure what I'm missing.

I don't get it anywhere, above or below.

> What version of 'less' do you use? Is any other configuration that you
> didn't mention affecting what your observation?

Both "less 481 (GNU regular expressions)" and version 487. I upgraded
and tried both. This is on Debian stable (and newer version from
testing).

It may be something in my system config, but I tried sudo-ing to a user
that only has stock Debian config & none of my custom .bashrc etc, and I
get the same thing.