Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] subtree: move out of contrib

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2018 00:21:27 +0200

On Mon, Apr 30 2018, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There's one exception, which is doing a one-time permanent merge of
> two projects into one.  That's a nice feature, but is probably used
> extremely rarely.

FWIW this is the only thing I've used it for. I do this occasionally and
used to do this manually with format-patch + "perl -pe" before or
similar when I needed to merge some repositories together, and then some
other times I was less stupid and manually started doing something
similar to what subtree is doing with a "move everything" commit just
before the merge of the two histories.

>> https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=git%20subtree,git%20submodule
>>
>> Not sure what to make of this data.
>
> Clearly people need a lot more help when using submodules than when
> using subtree :)

Pretty clear it's garbage data, unless we're to believe that the
relative interest of submodules in the US, Germany and Sweden is 51, 64
& 84, but 75, 100 and 0 for subtree.