Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4/5] pack-objects: show some progress when counting kept objects

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 19:32:26 +0100

On Tue, Mar 06 2018, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy jotted:

> We only show progress when there are new objects to be packed. But
> when --keep-pack is specified on the base pack, we will exclude most
> of objects. This makes 'pack-objects' stay silent for a long time
> while the counting phase is going.
>
> Let's show some progress whenever we visit an object instead. The
> number of packed objects will be shown after if it's not the same as
> the number of visited objects.
>
> Since the meaning of this number has changed, use another word instead
> of "Counting" to hint about the change.

Can you elaborate on how the meaning has changed? With/without this on
linux.git I get:

With:

    Enumerating objects: 5901144, done.
    Getting object details: 100% (5901145/5901145), done.
    Delta compression using up to 8 threads.

Without:

    Counting objects: 5901145, done.
    Delta compression using up to 8 threads.

So now we're seemingly off-by-one but otherwise doing the same thing?

As for as user feedback goes we might as well have said "Reticulating
splines", but I have some bias towards keeping the current "Counting
objects..." phrasing. We ourselves have other docs referring to it that
aren't changed by this patch, and there's
e.g. https://githubengineering.com/counting-objects/ and lots of other
3rd party docs that refer to this.