Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Add "git rebase --show-patch"

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 12:26:31 +0100

On Fri, Jan 26 2018, Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy jotted:

> When a conflict happens during a rebase, you often need to look at the
> original patch to see what the changes are. This requires opening your
> favourite pager with some random path inside $GIT_DIR.
>
> This series makes that experience a bit better, by providing a command
> to read the patch. This is along the line of --edit-todo and --quit
> where you can just tell git what to do and not bother with details.
>
> My main focus is "git rebase", but because rebase uses "git am" behind
> the scene, "git am" gains --show-patch option too.
>
> There was something more I wanted to do, like coloring to the patch.
> But that probably will come later. I'll try to merge these two
> 21-months-old patches first.

This is only tangentially related to what you're doing, but I've long
wanted to add a commit.verbose config option to emulate `git commit
--verbose`, and furthermore to show the patch in rebase under "reword",
"squash" etc.

There's been so many times when I start editing the todo list, and
reword this or that, only to forget (because I don't have good commit
messages yet) what the patch is even about, and then switch to a
terminal, "git show" etc.

I'm just mentioning that here because if and when we have such a
feature, I think the --show-patch option is going to be very confusing,
people might want to enable this thing I'm talking about, but find that
--show-patch is something else entirely.

I don't know a good solution to that, just putting that out there.