Subject: Re: Git For Aix 6 and 7

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 15:47:07 +0100

On Thu, Jan 18 2018, raikrishna jotted:

> Hi Team,
>
> I have an urgent requirement to install Git client for Aix 6 and 7, could
> you please help send me or navigate me to the correct url.
> My present infrastructure comprise of Aix and Linux servers , I am
> successfully using Git on Linux however I am struggling to find correct
> package for AIX platform.
>
> Appreciate your quick response.

Hi raikrishna. The git-packagers list is a rather small list so perhaps
someone on the general git list (CC'd) knows the answer to this.

I'm not aware of anyone providing binary git packages for AIX, but I
don't use it so maybe they exist.

The last mention on the mailing list I could find of someone packaging
it was this from Michael Felt's (CC'd)
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

The last AIX-related patch to git is actually mine, but I haven't logged
into an AIX box in over a decade, see
https://github.com/chef/omnibus-software/commit/e247e36761#diff-3df898345d670979b74acc0bf71d8c47

So it looks like there's a chef build recipe for it, maybe that's
something you can use?

I would not be surprised if building git on AIX, particularly with a
non-GNU toolchain, fails in all sorts of interesting ways. People here
on the list would be happy to help you work through those failures,
we're keen to port git to whatever we can get our hands on, but these
platforms experience quite a bit of bitrot.