Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/5] Makefile: under "make dist", include the sha1collisiondetection submodule

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 00:15:15 +0100

On Fri, Dec 08 2017, Junio C. Hamano jotted:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Include the sha1collisiondetection submodule when running "make
>> dist". Even though we've been shipping the sha1collisiondetection
>> submodule[1] and using it by default if it's checked out[2] anyone
>> downloading git as a tarball would just get an empty
>> sha1collisiondetection/ directory.
>
> While I can see that you are not including everything, but I do not
> see _why_ you chose to do so and hardcode the burden of maintaining
> the list of files we need to copy in the Makefile.

I started by trying to come up with something generic which would handle
future submodules, i.e.:

    git submodule foreach 'git ls-files'

However, unlike the C programs ./git-submodule will bark about missing
shell stuff when not installed, and the "dist" target already use
./git-*.

Between that and someone using git.git probably never running
sha1collisiondetection/ itself, it seemed fine just to hardcode the
couple of things we needed, which are very unlikely to change.

> This is much better than shipping a tarball that would not build at
> the endgame stage, of course ;-)