Subject: Re: immutable tags?

From: David Kågedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:21:25 +0100

Carlos Santana <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would like to know if there is any difference between branches and
> tags. Is it only conceptual - convention to be followed by a developer
> or some technical difference?  e.g. : Is it possible to create
> immutable tags so that nothing can be checked in to that 'tagged
> directory'?

You are always in full control of your own repository, and have no
control over what other people do with their's. So you can't prevent
other people from changing the tags in their private repos, but you can
prevent them from propagating these changes back to you, or to a central
repository you control.

But perhaps there is nothing to worry about. I think the git commands
won't modify a tag unless you force it.

Also, if you use signed tags, you can be sure that they are not silently
replaced while still claiming to be tagged by you.

-- 
David Kågedal