Subject: Re: git-blame.el: what is format-spec?

From: David Kågedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:43:29 +0100

Sergei Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Then there should be (require 'format-spec) in git-blame.el, right? Due
> to:

Of course. I must have missed that since I already had it loaded.

> Now, I've evaluated (require 'format-spec) in my Emacs 22 (yes, 22, not
> 23), and now git-blame almost works there. The problem I see is that it
> doesn't output anything in the echo area. It color-codes the buffer, it
> does show correct pop-up when mouse is over a region, but it doesn't
> print anything in the echo area when I move cursor through the regions.
> Any idea how to debug/fix this?

Well, it appears I removed the output to the echo area. I didn't think
it worked very well, and the new output format mostly replaces it by
showing the hash.

There are also technical reasons for removing it (it couldn't be
implemented very cleanly).

It would of course be possible to restore the old way, but I think it
would be good to ask ourselves what we really would like to see? Some
ideas:

* A keybinding to show the commit introducing the current line,
  including diff and all.

* A keybinding to show the commit message in the echo areia.

* The old "log --oneline in echo area when point moves in to a new
  region" behavior.

* The old behvaior with a delay.

* Inline display of even more information. For just the current region?

* A constantly updating separate window

-- 
David Kågedal