Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 04/10] submodule: introduce extensions.submodulePathConfig

From: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2025 09:30:03 +0200

On Tue, 16 Dec 2025, Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2025.12.13 10:08, Adrian Ratiu wrote:
>> The idea of this extension is to abstract away the submodule gitdir
>> path implementation: everyone is expected to use the config and not
>> worry about how the path is computed internally, either in git or
>> other implementations.
>> 
>> With this extension enabled, the submodule.<name>.gitdir repo config
>> becomes the single source of truth for all submodule gitdir paths.
>> 
>> The submodule.<name>.gitdir config is added automatically for all new
>> submodules when this extension is enabled.
>> 
>> Git will throw an error if the extension is enabled and a config is
>> missing, advising users how to migrate. Migration is manual for now.
>
> This part doesn't seem accurate in my testing. When cloning a project
> with `--recurse-submodules` and with the extension enabled globally, the
> resulting .git/config does not include gitdir configs for any of the
> cloned submodules, yet no error occurs.

Patrick already pointed out in the other patch that I misunderstood how
the global config is supposed to work.

What you point out here is a side-effect of that. :)

I will fix the global config in v7. indeed it should throw an error.

I will also add four test combinations for cloning w/o
--recurse-submodules and global config on/off.

I also missed these cases in the tests I added.

Many thanks,
Adrian