Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 04/24] Documentation: build 'technical/bitmap-format' by default

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 00:58:00 +0200

On Wed, Jul 14 2021, Taylor Blau wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 01:35:48AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> As a mostly aside I've got a local series queued up to move all of these
>> "format" docs to e.g. gitformat-bitmap(5), i.e. to make them first-class
>> manpages, so other pages can link to them. Right now we mostly don't,
>> but when our manpages do they link to the generated HTML, which e.g. I
>> don't have installed by default.
>
> It would be nice to be able to look it up with "man 5 gitformat-bitmap".
> I actually don't have strong feelings about this particular patch
> getting picked up or not, since it doesn't add the actual format changes
> to the file itself.
>
> This does pick up the bitmap-format document in "make -C Documentation
> html", which is nice(r than "make -C Documentation
> technical/bitmap-format.html" IMHO).

Oh yes, I'm not saying don't add the target. Just a musing on how we
ended up with such a large set of things in "Documentation/technical/*"
as opposed to just man pages.

I guess if there's good reasons for it they'll come out if/when I submit
that series...

>> But there's still (but maybe later in this series) a link to
>> bitmap-format anywhere from another manual page (but there is for
>> e.g. technical/pack-format.html).
>
> No, I didn't add any links pointed at bitmap-format.

I see https://git-scm.com/docs/bitmap-format has somehow managed to get
indexed by Google, perhaps through some magic :)