Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4] Documentation: use singular they when appropriate

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 19:09:15 +0200

On Mon, Jun 07 2021, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>
> There are several instances in our documentation where we refer to an
> anonymous user as "a contributor" or "an integrator" or similar. To
> avoid repeating this role, pronouns are used. Previous examples
> chose a gender for this user, using "he/him" or "she/her" arbitrarily.
>
> Replace these uses with "they/them" to ensure that these documentation
> examples apply to all potential users without exception.
>
> Signed-off-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>

I think this is mostly an improvement, however:

>  .../using-signed-tag-in-pull-request.txt      | 38 +++++++++----------

This is a quote from a mail of Junio's[1] (date and all). I don't think
it makes sense to copyedit that after the fact without at least editing
the header that indicates that it's a verbatim reproduction.

1. https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/