Subject: Re: git silently ignores include directive with single quotes

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 23:08:09 +0200

On Sun, Sep 23 2018, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Apologies for I don't know how this project manages issues, so I'm not
> sure whether it is my responsibility to make sure this issue gets
> resolved, or do you have some tracking mechanism where you have it
> registered? There is no rush, I'm asking because the discussion about
> this issue has suddenly dropped about 2 weeks ago, hence my ping.

Posting to this mailing list is generally how it's done, see
https://github.com/git/git/blame/v2.19.0/README.md#L30-L37

Git's a project worked on by a bunch of people who're either doing it as
a hobby, or are otherwise busy chasing stuff they're planning to work
on.

That doesn't mean the issue you reported doesn't matter, just that
realistically we have thousands of issues big and small at any given
time, and any new reported issue competes with those. There's always too
much to do, and too little time to do it.

Personally, I'm interested enough in this to muse about how it could be
fixed / what sort of general issues it exposes, but not enough to tackle
it myself, the general silence for a couple of weeks means a lot of
people share that sentiment (or care even less).

That doesn't mean this issue doesn't matter, or that it couldn't be
addressed in some way. I just wanted to try to give you some fair &
realistic summary of what's going on.

The best way to fix stuff in git that you can't interest others in is to
do it yourself. Take a look at Documentation/SubmittingPatches in the
git.git repository for how to do that.

In particular, starting by clarifying the docs around this as I
suggested upthread might be a good and easy start to your first
contribution to git!

I hope that helps.