Subject: Re: GDPR compliance best practices?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 00:53:07 +0200

On Fri, Jun 08 2018, Peter Backes wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 10:13:20AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> Can you walk us through how anyone would be expected to fork (as create
>> a new project, not the github-ism) existing projects under such a
>> regiment?
>
> I don't see your point. Copy the repository to fork. Nothing changes
> about that. Nothing prevents anyone from forking a repository which had
> some of its author names removed from the commits.

This basically the same as saying the whole notion of Signed-off-by
should be abandoned entirely, since in this case the fork will only have
a partial set of these.

The point is that we're recording information so each line in the
repository can be traced back to a SOB.

These sorts of take-downs would destroy that information, and the
proposed solution of having some party retain these creates a special
class of free software users who are capable of following that line of
attributions.