Subject: Re: interactive rebase results across shared histories

From: Seb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:05:37 -0600

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 23:57:06 +0100,
Moritz Neeb <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

>> OK, I've followed this advice and looked at the dependency graphs in
>> gitk before and after rebasing, I've managed to obtain what I was
>> after.  The repository now has two branches: master and topic.
>> However, Gitk reveals a problem with a string of commits that are not
>> part of any branch:

>> A---B---H---I (master) \ C---D---E (loose string of commits) \
>> D'---E'---F---G (topic)

>> How do I remove these loose commits (C, D, E)?

> what you might be after is "git gc". But I never used it, it was not
> neccesary for me. I would let the automatic garbage collection drop my
> dangling commits. It's safer - who knows when you will still want to
> restore your recent "loose string of commits".

> How exactly are the loose commits causing trouble?

Sure enough, these dangling commits were removed automatically without
any intervention.  All is good.

Thanks!

-- 
Seb