Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] command-list.txt: group common commands by theme

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 14:01:51 +0200

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's probably my failure for not finding the documentation on that, but I really would like to be educated. Do you have an authoritative source for that statement?

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html

3.206 Line
A sequence of zero or more non- <newline> characters plus a terminating
<newline> character.

3.397 Text File
A file that contains characters organized into zero or more lines. The
lines do not contain NUL characters and none can exceed {LINE_MAX} bytes
in length, including the <newline> character. Although POSIX.1-2008 does
not distinguish between text files and binary files (see the ISO C
standard), many utilities only produce predictable or meaningful output
when operating on text files. The standard utilities that have such
restrictions always specify "text files" in their STDIN or INPUT FILES
sections.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."