Subject: Re: Please pull git-po master branch

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:58:17 +0200

Ralf Thielow <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I said I've tried to unify with the git-gui translation. Actually, I was
> wondered why they translate terms like "Tag" or "Commit" because
> I think they should be known by a Git user.
> 
> I know German books about Git using many other terms like
> "Staging" or "Index" as it is.

Well, this is getting into the eternal "German vs. Denglish"
bikeshedding war.  If you can actually cite books, that would probably
constitute a good argument in favour of changing it to the English terms
for these.  (I'd be all for it, and AFAIK so would Jan, but as I said
this has been going on for a while.)

>> * Make a glossary of the relevant terminology first.  Sadly
>>  gitglossary(7) has gotten somewhat stale, and perhaps can also benefit
>>  from an overhaul.  Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason recently made a list[4] of
>>  the most important terms, which is a good start.
>
> I would be happy to work together with you on these things.
> Tiny changes in the translation of basic terms can make
> a big difference.

Perhaps you could use the Github wiki feature to import Ævar's list into
a wiki in your git-de-po repository, which we could then edit?

> I don't think that it's sooo bad that it needs to get reverted.

Probably not, since that would be pointless without another minor
release.  But I am saying it should not have been fast-tracked to maint
in the first place.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch