Subject: Re: Mergetool generating blank files (1.5.3)

From: David Kågedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:43:37 +0200

"Kelvie Wong" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've tried all of the ones that were supported, the result is the same
> -- blank files in all three windows.
>
> It is because git mergetool fails to generate these files for whatever
> reason (the filebasename.{REMOTE,LOCAL,BASE}.* files).  I don't know
> why this happens.
>
> As for merge utilities, all I need is something that looks for the
> first <<<<<, and lets me choose which version I want (either top or
> bottom), plain and simple :/  I don't even need/want a gui.

Since you are already using Emacs, let me suggest you use smerge
(together with ediff).

Use M-x smerge-mode and go over the conflicts and select which one you
want with C-c ^ m (for "mine") or C-c ^ o (for "other") or one of the
commands.  Or press C-c ^ E to run a three-window merge.

Or use the last directly by running M-x smerge-ediff.

-- 
David Kågedal