Subject: Re: Two ideas for improving git's user interface

From: Carl Worth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:42:54 -0800

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:08:19 -0800 (PST), Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> If you deny the index file, you really deny git itself.
> 

[And the novice nearly reaches enlightenment.]

OK. I now thoroughly understand that this use of the index is by
design, not accident. So I won't propose modifying the index again.

But, I'm still not yet sure how to reconcile my personal workflow with
git yet. I don't think I'm yet an index-embracer that would relish
using "update-index <file>; commit" for everything. At the same time,
I can appreciate the disdain for "commit -a" to the extent that it
does deny the index.

I suspect that what I want might fall somewhere in between, with
something like "mark <file>; commit-marked" where commit-marked would
update the index of all marked files, then commit. This would allow me
to still use update-index for the times that I actually need to take
advantage of what that provides.

So, maybe I'll try scripting up something for that myself, (at the
risk of re-inventing cogito). Or maybe I'll just learn to live with
(and love?) what git provides already.

-Carl