Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/9] notes: support an external command to display notes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2026 09:03:54 +0900

Siddh Raman Pant <[email-masked]> writes:

> This problem excaberates on scale.
>
> One solution to this is a realtime fetch or faster updation via
> external means, but unfortunately we lose the coherence in the
> display of information, and the user would end up reinventing
> git log.
>
> So let's add support for an external command to display the notes.

It is unclear how we would arrive at "So let's" from the previous
paragraph.  It is not limited to notes but multiple people updating
the same thing racing against each other happens all the time in the
main part of the history, no?  Isn't a better solution for such
racing situation usually based on a better merge support, I have to
wonder?

> We split the addition of documentation and tests from this commit for
> easier review. The new help text added in Documentation/ in the next
> commit should make the usage clear.

It is unclear why a large body of code that is not documented or
whose uses are not illustrated by examples found in the test scripts
is easier to review, though.