Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2021, #03; Tue, 13)

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:54:57 +0200

On Wed, Jul 14 2021, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 3:07 AM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> [Stalled]
>>
>> * hn/reftable (2021-05-20) 27 commits
>
> I have some updates for the series pending, but I'm waiting for the
> preliminaries (test fixes, the errno stuff) to hit master.
>
> How do other folks deal with dependencies between topics?

Not very well, but maybe this works for you.

If I had say a "ab/reftable" locally and it depended on
"ab/refs-errno-fixes" I'd rebase ab/refs-errno-fixes on top of
ab/reftable, and set the upstream info ("git branch --set-upstream-to")
to my pushed version of ab/reftable.

Thus "git log @{u}.." in "ab/reftable" gives me changes as of the
"ab/refs-errno-fixes" "base" topic, and git-format-patch/send-email will
send patches as of that topic.

Of course when you send this to the list you need to make that
dependency relationship clear, as in my just-submitted re-roll of
your/my refs.c errno changes:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I have no idea if/how this would work with gitgitgadget, which I think
you exclusively use.