Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/34] Builtin FSMonitor Feature

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 19:40:45 +0200

On Thu, Jul 01 2021, Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget wrote:

> Here is V3 of my patch series to add a builtin FSMonitor daemon to Git. I
> rebased this series onto v2.32.0.
>
> V3 addresses most of the previous review comments and things we've learned
> from our experimental testing of V2. (A version of V2 was shipped as an
> experimental feature in the v2.32.0-based releases of Git for Windows and
> VFS for Git.)
>
> There are still a few items that I need to address, but that list is getting
> very short.

...
>   fsmonitor-fs-listen-win32: stub in backend for Windows
>   fsmonitor-fs-listen-macos: stub in backend for MacOS

I left some light comments on the repo-settings.c part of this to follow
up from a previous round.

Any other testing of it is stalled by there being no linux backend for
it as part of this series. I see from spelunking repos that Johannes had
a WIP compat/fsmonitor/linux.c which looks like it could/should mostly
work, but the API names all changed since then, and after a short try I
gave up on trying to rebase it.

I'd really prefer for git not to have features that place free platforms
at a disadvantage against proprietary platforms if it can be avoided,
and in this case the lack of a Linux backend also means much less
widespread testing of the feature among the development community / CI.