Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] hook-list.h: add a generated list of hooks, like config-list.h

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:09:26 +0200

On Tue, Jun 29 2021, René Scharfe wrote:

> Am 29.06.21 um 20:54 schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
>> Make githooks(5) the source of truth for what hooks git supports, and
>> die hooks we don't know about in find_hook(). This ensures that the
>> documentation and the C code's idea about existing hooks doesn't
>> diverge.
>>
>> We still have Perl and Python code running its own hooks, but that'll
>> be addressed by Emily Shaffer's upcoming "git hook run" command.
>>
>> This resolves a long-standing TODO item in bugreport.c of there being
>> no centralized listing of hooks, and fixes a bug with the bugreport
>> listing only knowing about 1/4 of the p4 hooks. It didn't know about
>> the recent "reference-transaction" hook either.
>>
>> I have not been able to directly test the CMake change being made
>> here. Since 4c2c38e800 (ci: modification of main.yml to use cmake for
>> vs-build job, 2020-06-26) some of the Windows CI has a hard dependency
>> on CMake, this change works there, and is to my eyes an obviously
>> correct use of a pattern established in previous CMake changes,
>> namely:
>>
>>  - 061c2240b1 (Introduce CMake support for configuring Git,
>>     2020-06-12)
>>  - 709df95b78 (help: move list_config_help to builtin/help,
>>     2020-04-16)
>>  - 976aaedca0 (msvc: add a Makefile target to pre-generate the Visual
>>    Studio solution, 2019-07-29)
>>
>> The LC_ALL=C is needed because at least in my locale the dash ("-") is
>> ignored for the purposes of sorting, which results in a different
>> order. I'm not aware of anything in git that has a hard dependency on
>> the order, but e.g. the bugreport output would end up using whatever
>> locale was in effect when git was compiled.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
>
> Please remove my sign-off line.  The code looks OK, but there are
> basically only trivial traces of my suggestion left.  That's fine, but
> it makes my sign-off unnecessary, and I cannot certify the origin of the
> rest of the patch.  You could turn it into a Helped-by or
> Contributions-by if you like.

Isn't that what the SOB is for though? I.e. a copyright audit trail, I
wouldn't have come up with that sed code myself, it's copied & adjusted
from your version.

I can re-roll with a Helped-by if you/Junio think that's appropriate, I
just thought this was /the/ use-case for SOB.