Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 05/16] reftable: utility functions

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 11:33:04 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26 2020, Han-Wen Nienhuys via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]>
>
> This commit provides basic utility classes for the reftable library.

Re Johannes's comments in v2
(https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/)
about strbuf.c etc. being duplicated I see that's gone now.

It seems you did some version of my suggestion in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ of
factoring out that code, except here:

> [...]
> +#ifdef REFTABLE_STANDALONE
> +
> +/* functions that git-core provides, for standalone compilation */
> +#include <stdint.h>
> +
> +uint64_t get_be64(void *in);
> +void put_be64(void *out, uint64_t i);

It's unclear whether that's an omission, or needed for some reason (is
git.git ever going to have REFTABLE_STANDALONE=true?

The update shellscript is also gone from v2->v3, is that out of tree now
somewhere? How does one test with the upstream code & presumably do some
munging on it to make it diff-able with what's going to be in git.git?

It would be really useful to have that sort of info/summary in the cover
letter between serieses. It's not that I mind e.g. having some of this
REFTABLE_STANDALONE code here. Just having to do archaeology trying to
figure out changes in this rather large series...