Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 11/12] gc: automatically write commit-graph files

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:33:41 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20 2018, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The commit-graph file is a very helpful feature for speeding up git
>> operations. In order to make it more useful, write the commit-graph file
>> by default during standard garbage collection operations.
>>
>> Add a 'gc.commitGraph' config setting that triggers writing a
>> commit-graph file after any non-trivial 'git gc' command.
>
> Other than the question if 'gc.commitGraph' and 'core.commitGraph'
> should be independent config variables, and the exact wording of the
> git-gc docs, it looks good to me.

Sans doc errors you pointed out in other places (you need to set
core.commitGraph so it's read at all), I think it's very useful to have
these split up. It's simliar to pack.useBitmaps & pack.writeBitmaps.

Makes it easy to start writing them, and then have a quick toggle to
turn it off if there's any issues rathen than go around deleting the
files or making sure they're not written out.