Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-am: error out when seeing -b/--binary

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:31:00 +0100

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> 	--binary)
> 		: ;;
> 	-b)
> 		gettextln >&2 "The -b option (a no-op short for --binary) was removed in 1.7.10."
> 		die "$(gettext "Please adjust your scripts.")"
> 		;;
>
> Mentioning deprecation in 1.6.0 in the message left me uneasy because
> we never actually did anything to actively deprecate the option; it
> just has not been needed since 1.4.3 and we stopped advertising it in
> the manpage in 1.6.0.  So I don't like the implication of "this is all
> right because we told you so" --- on the contrary, it is "in practice
> nobody seems to be using this option and we hope nobody will notice
> when we take it away".

Hmm, I had an alternate patch ready in the morning, but Junio beat us to
it and applied the old one to master.

I don't really think it matters enough to apply *another*, so I'll leave
it at that.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch