Subject: Re: [PATCH] hook: make stdout_to_stderr optional

From: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2026 16:59:23 +0200

On Tue, 13 Jan 2026, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> What was the previous behaviour of code paths that ran other hooks?
>> Was pre-push the only one that didn't divert standard output to
>> standard error?  This patch does look like a proper regression fix
>> in that case.  I browsed "git log -p 1627809eef..c65f26fca4" (i.e.,
>> the change for "Merge branch 'ar/run-command-hook'") and random
>> sampling (like run_receive_hook() that used run_and_feed_hook(),
>> which set stdout_to_stderr to 1) seems to indicate that it is the
>> case.
>
> By the way, if stdout_to_stderr is by default set to true, but tnis
> regression fix allows specific callers to opt out of it, then the
> title "make stdout_to_stderr optional" is a bit misleaing.  It makes
> it sound as if it is false by default and optionally turned on.
>
> Perhaps like "hook: allow stdout_to_stderr optionally off" or
> something?

Ack. Will rename in v2.

Please wait for v2 because, while writing the tests, I noticed pre-push
needs 1 additional line (ungroup output) to function as before.