Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 04/14] dir: select directories correctly

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 00:21:42 +0200

On Sun, Sep 12 2021, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:

> +	/*
> +	 * Use 'alloc' as an indicator that the string has not been
> +	 * initialized, in case the parent is the root directory.
> +	 */
> +	if (!path_parent->alloc) {

This isn't wrong, but seems to be way too cozy with the internal
implementation details of strbuf. For what it's worth I renamed it to
"alloc2" and found that this would be only the 3rd bit of code out of
strbuf.[ch] that cares about that member.

> +		char *slash;
> +		strbuf_addstr(path_parent, pathname);

So is "pathname" ever the empty string? If not we could check the
length?

Or probably better: ...

> @@ -1331,6 +1359,7 @@ static struct path_pattern *last_matching_pattern_from_list(const char *pathname
>  {
>  	struct path_pattern *res = NULL; /* undecided */
>  	int i;
> +	struct strbuf path_parent = STRBUF_INIT;

Just malloc + strbuf_init() this in the above function and have a
"struct strbuf *" initialized to NULL here? Then we can use a much more
idiomatic "is it NULL?" to check if it's initialized.