Subject: Re: remote.<name>.merge missing from the git-config man page?

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 21:57:56 +0100

On Mär 08 2021, Taylor Blau wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 09:41:14PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> >> >  `git push origin`::
>> >> >  	Without additional configuration, pushes the current branch to
>> >> > -	the configured upstream (`remote.origin.merge` configuration
>> >> > +	the configured upstream (`branch.<name>.merge` configuration
>> >> >  	variable) if it has the same name as the current branch, and
>> >> >  	errors out without pushing otherwise.
>> >>
>> >> That doesn't say what <name> is.  Is that supposed to be <branch>?
>> >> Also, what is "it" referring to in "if it has the same name"?
>> >
>> > <name> refers to the currently-checked-out branch's local name. (That's
>> > how it's used in Documentation/config/branch.txt).
>> >
>> > The antecedent is "the current branch", so I think that this one may
>> > already be quite clear if you read past the parenthesis.
>>
>> That doesn't make sense: "if the current branch has the same name as the
>> current branch".
>
> OK, now I see where your confusion is. I was incorrect in saying the
> antecedent was "the current branch"; it should instead by "the
> configured upstream". IOW, "if both your and the remote copy call the
> branch you have checked out the same thing."

The configured upstream is the value of branch.<name>.merge, isn't it?
That would be the name of a remote, not the name of a branch.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."