Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] gc docs: change --keep-base-pack to --keep-largest-pack

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:18:29 +0100

On Sat, Nov 21 2020, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The --keep-base-pack option never existed in git.git. It was the name
>> for the --keep-largest-pack option in earlier revisions of that series
>> before it landed as ae4e89e549 ("gc: add --keep-largest-pack option",
>> 2018-04-15).
>
> Is it a sign that this hasn't been used by or useful to our users
> that this documentation bug did not get noticed by anybody for the
> past 30 months, I wonder.

FWIW I used it in a major git deployment since before it landed on
"master" as gc.bigPackThreshold, but not the CLI option. 

I think a lot of these CLI options for gc/repack are relatively unused
compared to the config, but it's still arguably useful to have them for
one-off testing (although you could also just use "git -c ...").

> "git gc -h" does report the option with correct name, which is the
> beauty of automation ;-)
>
> Thanks, both.  Will queue, together with [2/2] which also makes
> sense.