Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] Documentation/git-merge.txt: get rid of irrelevant references to git-pull

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 15:39:21 +0300

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So I believe this change is inline with the rest of the patch. The
>> reference to git-pull (if it remains) should be a side-note, not part of
>> explanation of operation.
>
> Not really.  The thing is, "This is the most common" needs to be
> close to "Often...".  "git merge" directly invoked by the end user
> is much less likely to encounter a fast forward situation; getting
> invoked indirectly by "git pull" makes it common.

Ah, I now see. I tried to keep the text intact as much as possible, and
only split it into description and a note. Well, how about this then:

diff --git a/Documentation/git-merge.txt b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
index b758d55..479400f 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-merge.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
@@ -135,15 +135,17 @@ will exit early with the message "Already up-to-date."
 FAST-FORWARD MERGE
 ------------------
 
-Often the current branch head is an ancestor of the named commit.
-This is the most common case especially when invoked from 'git
-pull': you are tracking an upstream repository, you have committed
-no local changes, and now you want to update to a newer upstream
-revision.  In this case, a new commit is not needed to store the
+When current branch head is an ancestor of the named commit,
+a new commit is not needed to store the
 combined history; instead, the `HEAD` (along with the index) is
 updated to point at the named commit, without creating an extra
 merge commit.
 
+This is very common case when 'git merge' is invoked from 'git
+pull': you are tracking an upstream repository, you have committed
+no local changes, and now you want to update to a newer upstream
+revision.  
+
 This behavior can be suppressed with the `--no-ff` option.
 
 TRUE MERGE

-- Sergey