Subject: Re: git-scm.com website

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 19:02:49 +0100

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:06 AM, David Kastrup <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Personally, I consider the recent migration of the Emacs repository to
>>> Git a bigger endorsement but then that's me.
>>
>> I would love to have Emacs on that page, actually. If you guys want me
>> to add that, I'm happy to. I didn't know they moved over, I thought
>> they were still a bzr shop.
>
> I don't know who "you guys" is, but it would be my guess that
> Stallman/FSF would not be enthused to see the Emacs logo added to that
> particular list.
>
> Emacs used Bzr particularly to promote an alternative to Git more open
> to the free software philosophy promoted by the FSF.  Once Bzr
> development became non-responsive and Canonical turned it more into a
> Canonical-owned rather than a community project, it became sort of
> pointless to stick with a technically less popular choice.
>
> So Emacs fairly recently switched to Git.

I might add that the abysmal performance of git-blame on Emacs'
src/xdisp.c was given as one fairly important argument against switching
to Git, and in consequence I promised to take a look at it.  Git runs
about a factor of 4 faster on src/xdisp.c now, but I can safely say that
I consider letting myself get involved here a rather expensive mistake.

Live and learn.

-- 
David Kastrup