Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Support Out-Of-Tree Valgrind Tests

From: "David A. Greene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:12:31 -0600

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] (David A. Greene) writes:
>
>>> Don't we, right now, get stuff as follows:
>>>
>>>   item                   path
>>>   --------------------------------------------
>>>   test-lib.sh            $TEST_DIRECTORY
>>
>> Right now, yes, but it breaks for out-of-tree tests.  In the out-of-tree
>> case, TEST_DIRECTORY doesn't contain test-lib.sh.  For exmaple, in
>
> Could it be that the reason for the breakage is because you are
> setting TEST_DIRECTORY to the directory that contains out-of-tree
> tests, instead of $GIT_BUILD_DIR/t/ directory?

Well, yes.  I thought that's what out-of-tree tests are supposed to do.
They don't live in $GIT_BUILD_DIR/t/ after all.

Perhaps I've misunderstood how the test system is supposed to work.  A
table as you described in README would be most helpful.  I thought
TEST_DIRECTORY is supposed to point to where the tests to run are
located.

> Shouldn't TEST_DIRECTORY merely a short-hand for GIT_BUILD_DIR/t?
> What do you find relative to $TEST_DIRECTORY that cannot be found
> relative to GIT_BUILD_DIR/t?

If that's what TEST_DIRECTORY is supposed to be, always, then it should
be stated in the comments and README.  I had no idea this was an
invariant.

Thanks for clarifying!

                        -Dave